Mary Custis Lee Chapter No. 7, UDC, was organized April 7, 1895, in Alexandria's historic Lloyd House.
The founders were Mrs. P.T. Yeatman (Jean Washington Lloyd) and her sister, Mary Lee Lloyd, daughters of John Lloyd, who was the owner of the house.
Third on the role was Eliza Washington, great-great-great niece of George Washington. Eighth on the roll was Virginia Corse, who had the honor on May 24, 1889, of unveiling the Confederate statue Appomattox in Alexandria.
Others included Mrs. Cassius F. Lee (General Lee's first cousin once removed), Mrs. Edgar Warfield, Mrs. Fitzhugh Lee, Mrs. Jefferson Davis, and Mrs. Davis's daughters, Winnie and Margaret.
On November 11, 1897, the 17th Virginia Regiment Chapter #165 was organized with Mrs. William A. (Betty C.) Smoot as its first President.
On September 26, 1919 these two Chapters merged in order to take possession of the property of the R. E. Lee Camp, United Confederate Veterans. Many members of the Chapters were wives or daughters of Lee Camp members. The Chapter was incorporated by the Commonwealth of Virginia on January 10, 1922.
Mrs. James E. Alexander, one of the first members and an Honorary President General wrote, "We look on yonder Monument and see the names of those we love. We realize they gave their lives for the Cause they loved. Let us as women, old and young, rally around the United Daughters of the Confederacy and may she be a great organization going forth to do good."